The low carb way of life:
Lately I have a lack of energy. I’m doing fine in the mornings but after lunch my energy levels drop and I get very tired. This makes it sometimes hard to concentrate on my work. I am often too tired to do a workout after work or dinner. At night I don’t feel like doing much. Besides that I have a bloated feeling after lunch that doesn’t go away for the rest of the day.
After reading a lot about the 17 Day Diet I did some research on the internet and came across a Dutch book. The questions draw my attention:
- Are you often hungry or want to eat?
- Is it difficult to lose weight or maintain it?
- Are you having bowel or bowel motion problems?
- Do you want more energy?
- Are you often washed-out?
- Are you an overweight person?
- Do you have a fat bally?
There were 2 other questions I answered with no. All the above I answered yes. If you answered yes 4 times or more you could be oversensitive for carbs.
I immediately bought the book and read it yesterday and it all made sense. I think my problems are mainly caused by eating too many carbs during the day. That explains the title of today’s post: I’m going to make a change in the way I eat: low carb.
The book is called (free translation): control your carbs and the program is simple: you can have 1 carb hour a day where you can eat carbs. All your other meals are low carb. For me this will be dinner and I won’t have to change much in my dinners. I do have to make adjustments to my breakfast and lunch. I have to read the book again this weekend and make notes what I can eat. There are a lot of recipes and suggestions for breakfast and lunch so I will find my way in this.
She works with three food groups:
- Green: you can eat these all day. Green foods are meat, chicken and fish. Most vegetables. Cheese and eggs. Nuts. Fiber crackers. Oil and butter.
- Orange: you can eat these at your carb hour. Diary. Bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. Fruits. Dried beans. Chips, pretzels, cookies, sugar, desserts. Vegetables that aren’t on the green list. Soda’s, alcohol.
- Red: forbidden! There’s only one product on this list: the artifical sugars like aspartaam.
I will explain more about the program in the next couple of weeks because I have to get familiar with it myself too. I will start on Friday or maybe sooner. I have all my groceries already bought for this week.
The author advices you to follow her program for 6 weeks and see what it does to your body. I made a pic yesterday of my belly and will make a progress pic every 4 weeks. I also will give a weight update every week.
Belly on October 14th:
Start weight on October 15th: 81 kg (178.5 lbs).
I’m going to make a few changes to this blog. I will be posting on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday as usual but the posts will be sort of “theme” posts:
- Saturday: The low carb way of life edition.
- Wednesday: The workout edition (Shelly stealing this from you, hope you don’t mind).
- Monday: The mishmash edition.
Not many plans this weekend. This morning I did a 6.4K run and it was awesome! Best time on this distance this year. Very happy with that. After my run I worked in the garden for 2.5 hours. It’s ready for Winter now and I won’t be working in it till Spring.
No plans this weekend, going to get familiar with the program and just relax at home.
365 days photo challenge 2011
Day 286 – Thursday October 11
Beautiful sunset after a beautiful Autumn day.
Day 287 – Friday October 12
Bella is enjoying the Autumn sunshine.