The low carb way of life:
Saturday I read the important parts of the book again. And that was good because I didn’t read the red list carefully the first time. Besides the artificial sugars also sugarfree gum, candy and chocolate is on the list. So is grape and fructose sugar and flavour enhancers. Not sure if they use it in the US and Canada but in Europe products that contain flavour enhancers have E-numbers on the label, that’s how you recognize them. After reading this I went through my refrigerator and cupboards and, although not very much, there were some products that contained either the sugar or the enhancers. I’m not a fan of throwing away food but I did throw away these products that were mostly salad dressings.
I started on Monday. I ate:
- Breakfast: 2 crackers made of flaxseed with water with cheese and a boiled egg.
- Snack: a little cheese (Babybel)
- Lunch: salad with feta cheese, a little bit of chicken and pesto.
- Snack: 15 walnuts and pecan nuts
- Dinner: chicken breast, rösti (potatoes) and stir-fried green vegetables. Two mandarins.
- Snack: a Babybel cheese.
Flaxseed crackers: put 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in 2 tablespoons of water. If you want you can add a little bit of salt which I didn’t. Let it steep and make crackers on a piece of baking paper. Put it in the microwave, highest level, for 1.30 minutes (that’s how long it takes for my crackers), but you have to try what works best for you.
I haven’t been hungry on Monday. Usually I want something to eat around 9 am but didn’t want to eat something till it was 11 am. My breakfast was very fulfilling.
Tuesday and Wednesday I felt weak At first I thought I was getting the flu but then I remembered reading something about it in the book. Because I cut down on sugar and carbs my body is getting detoxicated which can cause muscle weakness, headache and other little pains. This needs a couple of days and it will get better eventually. I still have a headache everyday but that’s normal too and will go away too. I decided to take the rest of the week off from working out and let my body adjust to the program.
Yesterday I went to a “nature store” and bought a few things I need for making my own crackers and for other recipes. These products I can’t buy in the supermarket. Next time I buy them online because I found a great webshop for these products which is cheaper than buying it in the store.
Start weight on October 15th: 81 kg (178.5 lbs).
Weight on October 22nd: 79.7 kg (175.7 lbs).
Total loss: 1.3 kg (2.8 lbs).
Conclusion: I feel great. I’m not hungry and I don’t miss the carbs like bread at all. I don’t feel bloated anymore, my PDS seems already to have calmed down. Honestly I thought I would crave for cookies and stuff but I haven’t. Thursday there was pie at work but I didn’t take it. Not because I couldn’t but I didn’t want too. Weekends are the most challenging for me and I’m curious how I will do today and tomorrow. More on that in the next post. So far I think I made a right decision starting this program.
- Thursday was the last day at work for K. It’s so weird she won’t be at the office and we can’t chat daily. But there’s Facebook and mobiles so we will be okay. We are going to see each other in 2 weeks for dinner and a musical. It has been so much fun working with her the past 7 years and I’m going to miss her a lot.
- The concert Thursday. First we got stuck in traffic jam and we were 30 minutes late and Mark Knopfler already started. It’s not my kind of music and at first I was a bit bored but later I could appreciate it. His last song was So far away from the Dire Straits and I immediately thought of Lori. We could only see him for about 40 minutes. At 9 pm Bob Dylan started: WORST concert ever and we have seen a lot of concerts. You couldn’t hear a word he was singing. All he did was stand behind the mic or behind his keyboard. He was wearing a big cowboy head and you couldn’t see his face. After every song the lights went out before he started a new song. Every song sounded the same and he didn’t interact with the audience: he never said a word. We gave it a try but after 1 hour it was enough and we left. We weren’t the only ones, lots of people left early. No more Bob Dylan for us.
- Today R. and his brother are painting the ceiling and the living room. Yesterday R. cleared out the living room and as there was no place to sit down we went to my Mom last night. In two weeks they will do the kitchen and the hall way but that’s not as much work as the living room.
We ate bread because we had to leave early for the concert.
Noodles with beef tenderloin and pak-choi cabbage.
365 days photo challenge 2011
Day 293 – Thursday October 20
Last work pictures of K. and me.
Day 294 – Friday October 21
Living room before the painting.